What is Great Group Reads?
Great Group Reads is part of the National Reading Group Month initiative of the Women’s National Book Association. Since its creation in 2009, Great Group Reads (GGR) has become a highly regarded and anticipated resource for reading groups, individual facilitators, educators, bookstores, and libraries to recommend books.
When does GGR occur?
Between February and July of each year, the GGR selection committee reads the hundreds of books submitted by publishers. Seasoned readers read the submitted books and decide on a list of 20 top titles. Those 20 titles are our Great Group Reads for the year.
The list is finalized at the end of July. Notifications go out to publishers, authors, and media contacts by the end of September. The list goes out to bookstores through the American Booksellers Association box mailing in September. This gives bookstores, groups, and WNBA chapters time to use the GGR list to plan events for National Reading Group Month in October.
Submissions now open for 2021 Great Group Reads
Publishers can submit titles through April 16, 2021.
- Publishers may submit literary fiction, including novels, novellas, short stories, and memoir, including essay collections. Books in translation are eligible.
- Books must be published in the US between October 1, 2020 and September 30, 2021
- Titles must be submitted by publishers, be limited to two titles per publisher or imprint, and be readily available through customary distribution channels
- All formats — except original e-books — are eligible, including trade-paper reprints published within the designated time frame
- Please do not submit previously submitted titles, previously selected authors or self-published books
Publishers should submit titles to Kristen Knox, GGR chair, via email at GGR [at] wnba-books.org (subject line: Great Group Reads 2021). Please include suggested titles and a brief description of each title.
How do I become a reader?
Members of the WNBA can apply to be a reader.
Readers must commit to reading 20–25 or so (free) books between March and July.
This is a volunteer position.
As a GGR reader, I am always surprised by the titles I am asked to read. Just as I imagine I know the landscape of current fiction, the GGR finds hidden gems.—Katharine Phenix, WNBA-Network
If you are a WNBA member in good standing, please email Kristen Knox at GGR [at] wnba-books.org for more details. Please include your name and WNBA chapter.
More information about GGR
Contact Kristen Knox, GGR chair, at GGR [at] wnba-books.org for more information.